Wrong Side of the Tracks is a mission in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, given to Carl Johnson by Big Smoke from his house in Idlewood.
This mission is notorious for its extreme difficulty (especially for those who were playing this mission for the first time) and later spawn memes and YouTube Poop videos after it.
Why it Sucks
- You can't shoot the Vagos who are on top of the train, instead having to rely on Big Smoke to shoot them, unless if you managed to drive on the bridge and jump on top of the train.
- Big Smoke's AI is about as accurate as an Imperial Stormtrooper who's trying to shoot Luke Skywalker especially when you get close to the train.
- Cars and roadblocks spawn in the middle of the track.
- Once you get hit by an oncoming train, you'll waste time getting back onto the bike.
- The Vagos have ridiculously high health. This, combined with the fact that Big Smoke is apparently unable to hit the broad side of a barn, makes this mission much more difficult than intended.
- Although you can get on top of the train, there's still very few locations that you can get up, and you also need perfect timing to land your motorcycle on the train perfectly, making it a trial-and-error mission.
- If you fail the mission, Big Smoke will always berates you with that irritable line "All we had to do, was follow the damn train, CJ!", it gets annoying very quickly.
- The reward for completing the mission is just an increase in respect, which hardly makes up for how utterly difficult this mission is.
- Big Smoke's quote "All we had to do, was follow the damn train, CJ!", while annoying, became an internet meme and later repopularized GTA San Andreas.
Tips & Tricks
- It's advised to enhance CJ's skill with a long-ranged automatic weapon (the AK-47 is preferred as its weapon skill increases faster than nearly every weapon in the game). When chasing the train with the dirt bike, overtake the train, then stop and dismount after gaining some distance (not too much distance or it will be an automatic fail). Wait for the train to come into range and shoot the Vagos yourself.
- The player must position to the far right of the tracks to give Big Smoke a better aim at the Vagos, if the player gets close to the train, Big Smoke will just outright shoot the train due to his poor aim.
- Another simple way to do this mission is, Overtake the train, take the ramp that leads to a rooftop, then jump on the train and shoot the Vagos with the Uzi while the riding the bike along with Big Smoke to easily complete the mission.
- Grand Theft Auto V has a Gold Medal objective on the mission "Derailed" called "Better than CJ", in which the player (as Trevor Philips) must follow the train and land on top of it with his Sanchez for the first time to obtain this objective towards the Gold Medal award for this mission.
- In Minecraft, a splash text on the main menu may read "Follow the train, CJ!".