The Motorcycle Levels are four levels in Crash Bandicoot: Warped and its remake in the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. Each of them requires you to beat your opponents to the finish line.
While the Motorcycle Levels aren't bad from a respective concept, many fans often consider these segments as the weakest parts in the game.
Why they suck
- The turning on the motorcycle is awful. It's either too slow or too sharp, with no middle ground whatsoever. In fact, you can sometimes miss the Box Gem after breaking every crate, forcing you to do it all over again because they're this awful.
- The other racers are much wider than you are (as they are driving cars), making it easy to slam into them by accident.
- You can't go backwards, so if you miss one box while going for the gem, you're screwed.
- Trying to get the Box Gem is a pain as you are forced to get them while riding a motorcycle (especially when trying to get Time Boxes for Relics), essentially leaving you with two options.
- Try to get all of the Box Gems in one go while trying to win the race.
- Force yourself to lose the race so that you can get all of the Box Gems, and then beat the race on a second playthrough.
- In order for you to get the Crystal in these levels, instead of finding them in the level, you have to beat the racers in a race, so if you lose, you must restart the level all over again.
- Cheap unfair bottomless pits.
- You can't manually control your speed, so if you mess up even once, it's hard to recover.
- In the original version, you are sent out of the level if you lose, so you have to re-enter the level to try again.
- Can't slow down the other racers in any way.
- Trial-and-error level design. One slip-up will likely force you to restart the level from the beginning.
Why Area 51? in particular sucks
Area 51? is the secret Motorcycle level and the absolute worst of the bunch. Easily one of, if not THE worst stage in the entire series, it comes with all of the above problems, and then some:
- Instead of cars, your foes are UFOs. As a result, they can fly over obstacles!
- It's very dark, so it's impossible to see ahead of you. This can result in going off-road very easily, missing boxes, and not seeing the enemy vehicles way, way too often.
- The Relic time is beyond brutal, even the Sapphire time.
- The level is one of the longest in the game, and has the longest Platinum time.
- The music is decent.
- At least they're different despite how frustrating they are.
- The idea of vehicular levels sounded good on paper - just that the execution thought otherwise.
- Area 51? thankfully has no crystal, so it doesn't need to be completed to get the true ending.