Mad Space is a stage in the Dark Story of Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. It is Rouge's fourth and final level and overall the twelfth stage in the Dark Story of Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.
Along with Meteor Herd, Knuckles' last stage, Mad Space is the most hated level in the game for its redundancy and obnoxious difficulty. Of the two levels, it gets the most attention as the most infamous part of the game for good reasons explained here.
Why it Sucks
- The stage is extremely large and confusing, making it very easy to get lost. Granted, this is the Dark Story's final treasure hunting level, but even that's a bit overwhelming.
- It is very difficult to get an A rank on this stage for collecting emeralds, except for Hard mode.
- The hint televisions are reversed for no reason.
- You need to find the iron boots, as the Master Emerald pieces can be hidden in steel containers.
- Each asteroid has its own gravity, and Rouge can suddenly attach to one while gliding, completely throwing her off.
- There's this moon that can catch you in its gravity. The only way to escape it is by finding a rocket, but due to how confusing the layout is, players won't know that unless they looked it up online on how to find the rocket.
- The terrible camera makes navigating through the asteroids even more disorienting.
- Bland and forgettable atmosphere; it is nothing but space, rocks, asteroids, meteors and planets. It's worth mentioning that while Meteor Herd also had this atmosphere, it's more understandable as it takes place in a space station.
- The already confusing piece detection system is even worse than usual, which was already terrible enough for starters, because they just had to make this level that way, didn't they?
- Nice music.
- Hard mode places the emerald pieces in 3 specific locations that don't change so that you can merely memorize where they are for an easy A rank.
- If you're having problems finding a Master Emerald piece, try losing a life. Losing lives not only lets you keep the pieces you've already found, it also puts the remaining ones on different locations, like in more convenient places. Also, the rings will reappear, which should refuel your hunt. Just don't do it too much.
- Be sure to have truckloads of lives. You really don't want a Game Over here.