Espresso-2-Go! is a mission in Grand Theft Auto III given to the protagonist Claude by the new Yakuza leader Asuka Kasen. It's not only considered to be one of the hardest missions in GTA III, but also in the entire GTA franchise.
After having some effort put into torturing Miguel, Asuka learns that the Colombian Cartel has been using coffee stands scattered throughout Liberty City to sell SPANK. Claude was ordered to destroy every coffee stand before the Colombians warn their pushers.
Why It Sucks
- You are given only 8 minutes to drive around Liberty City and destroy 9 espresso stands. You have to know Liberty City's map like the back of your hand because if you get lost, you'll be better off restarting the mission.
- The coffee stands are not pinpointed on the map, forcing you to locate them yourself. Thankfully, the spawn locations of the stands are fixed and can be memorized through trial-and-error.
- Earlier versions of the game lack a mini-map, which makes navigating the city even more complicated.
- One stand is located in Saint Mark's, which is Mafia territory. And the Italians still have a score to settle with Claude for assassinating their Don. Worst of all, their shotguns can tear your vehicle apart easily.
- While point 3 can be solved by bringing a Rhino Tank or Ray's bulletproof Patriot, the Rhino is still to slow for the strict time limit and Ray's Patriot is not collision-proof, meaning that it can still be damaged from frequent ramming the coffee stands.
- If you destroy the first stand located in Shoreside Vale (west of Shoreside Lift Bridge at Francis International Airport), two Cartel members will be sent to intercept you.
The One Redeeming Quality
- The mission is so difficult that Rockstar tuned down its difficulty on newer versions of GTA III, now Mafia soldiers wield Micro-Uzis and other gang members will attack Cartel members as well.
Tips and Tricks
- It is strongly recommended to start on either Portland or Shoreside Vale and move left to right and vice versa as having to traverse back and forth from Staunton will waste precious time.
- The timer won't start until the player destroys a stall, and a stall's location will permanently show once the player discovers it.
- Besides crushing the stands with your vehicle, you can also blow them up with a rocket launcher. This can reduce the risk of lowering your vehicle's health for fighting with well armed Cartel guardians and hostile gangsters.