Driving Mission No.34 is the final driving mission in the 2005 racing game, Gran Turismo 4. It is notorious for its extremely high difficulty, and the final barrier to players achieving 100% completion.
What is required of the player?
Mission 34 is a "One Lap Magic" challenge, this time between cars made by Mercedes-Benz, old and new. Driving the 2003 Mercedes SLR McLaren, players must chase down the legendary Mercedes 300SL "Gullwing" coupe with a massive handicap, on Nürburgring Nordschleife, the world's toughest race track.
Why It Sucks
- The lead car gets roughly a 2 minute (1:55 in PAL/2:03 in NTSC) head start on you (even worse when playing on the NTSC version)! This means you have to wait a while to get going every time you attempt this mission!
- The lead car, the Mercedes 300SL, is a relatively powerful car for 1954 (it has roughly 212HP, and can comfortably reach 150 mph on a straight road), and is quite fast compared to the leads in previous One Lap Magic events.
- Your car, the SLR McLaren, has been tampered with to give it bad handling and a long braking distance, adding the element of fake difficulty. Meanwhile in the NTSC release, the car is more stable but it does NOT reduce the difficulty.
- You will need to know the Nürburgring Nordschleife track inside out just to stand a chance of completing this challenge, made worse by the fact that the Nordschleife is nearly 23 km long and is considered to be the toughest AND the most dangerous track in the world.
- Because of the above factors, the challenge leaves no room for error; one mistake, and you won't make it; you might as well restart.
- Because you are stuck at the starting grid for 2 minutes, it is very likely you'll be burnt out on this event if you find yourself restarting a lot.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- If you've already completed missions 30 through 33, and then beat this one, you'll receive the Nissan R89C Race Car as a prize, which is a superb car, so it will pay off in the end.