The Alchemist/Hunter mission is a two-part mission in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage and its remake, Spyro Reignite Trilogy, this mission is an orb challenge in the level Fracture Hills, in Autumn Planes, the second hub-world of the game. This mission is infamous for being mind-numbingly tedious, and its overall high difficulty.
In the first part of this two-part mission, the Player will have to escort the Alchemist and keep the Earthshapers away from him so that he can use the potion to free Hunter after encasing his feet in rock. If the player doesn't keep the Earthshapers at bay, they will cause the Alchemist to drop the potion, forcing the player to start again.
In the second part of this two-part mission, the Player will help Hunter take out the Earthshapers by head bashing them after they get stunned by Hunter's arrow. If the Player does not head bash the Earthshaper in that small window, they will get back up, forcing the Player to start from the beginning.
Why This Two-Part Mission Sucks
- The Alchemist will walk in an erratic pattern, meaning that it is very easy to lose track of him.
- The Alchemist will walk into every single Earthshaper in this area.
- If the Alchemist takes a single hit from the Earthshaper, not only will the Alchemist drop the potion causing the Earthshaper to laugh at you, but you will have to start then entire mission all over again.
- To add insult to injury, you know how the Alchemist was trying to get to Hunter the Cheetah? Well, Hunter is right next to the starting point were the Alchemist was! This basically means that the Alchemist took a long and dangerous path full of Earthshapers to an area that is literally a couple feet from were he started out from.
- After being stunned by Hunter, the Earthshapers will only be down for a few seconds, so you must be quick to defeat them, or they will get back up, resulting in failure.
- Sometimes Hunter will shot more than just one Earthshaper, so the Player could lose track on which Earthshaper Hunter has stunned with an arrow.
- If you don't head bash an Earthshaper in time, it will get back up and laugh, forcing you to start all over again.
- If you though all of this was bad, well...here's the worst part. Players will often do the Alchemist mission for the first time, given of how easy it is to 100% Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage. Here's the thing: the mission that follows cannot be started at that point, since Spyro doesn't have the Headbash move, which he doesn't learn until he arrives in Winter Tundra. And when you return to Fracture Hills with the move? You have to replay the escort portion again!
- These missions are somewhat optional.
- You get two Orbs for this two-part mission, so it will be worth it.
- Going back to the mission with the permanent Superflame ability is incredibly satisfying.
- Do not attempt to do this mission on your first playthrough, wait until you get the head bash ability to do this mission, as there is also the Hunter mission.
- Keep an eye on an Earthshaper, you'll be able to know were the Alchemist is as the Earthshaper will raise its pick axe to hit the Alchemist.